Michael Simon says this dish is inspired by his mom, so of course it is Greek! Michael likes to leave the skin on the carrots because they really pick up the char well when the sugar in the carrots superheats in the pan. Dressing the carrots while they are hot allows them to soak up some of the vinaigrette. This works as an appetizer on it's own or as a side to roasted lamb or grilled fish. From the cookbook The Chew Food Life Fun.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, cut into 2 inch chiunks on the bias
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed, toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mint (leaves only)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (can sub red onion)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1Preheat oven to 450*F.
- 2In a mixing bowl, add the carrots and toss with the honey, vinegar, cumin seeds, and 1 tbls. olive oil.
- 3In an oven safe skillet over medium high heat, heat the remaining olive oil, then add the carrots. Season generously with salt and pepper, and then toss to coat. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until the carrots have caramelized and browned in spots.
- 4Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, orange juice and zest, honey, vinegar, mint leaves, shallot and almonds. Add a pinch of salt and set aside.
- 5Once the carrots have finished and cooled slightly, toss them in a large bowl with the dressing. To serve, garnish carrots with feta, orange zest, adn a drizzle of olive oil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrots With Feta and Mint
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.1
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 577.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar
sherry wine vinegar