Recipe by Shannon 24
This is a family staple. For as long as I can remember, at every special occasion or meal we must have this. If my mom ever served this to guests, there was sure to be a recipe request following the meal. I do believe this is what my Mom is famous for. Everyone loves the cheesy carrots! Thanks Mom!
Top Review by CulinaryQueen
These were delicious! I didn't measure the carrots and just eyeballed the amount. I also used my food processor to slice them so they were quite thin. The sauce was the perfect amount. I made sure it was seasoned well and also added a sprinkling of nutmeg and a 1/4 tsp. of Dijon mustard just to give it a little push. I used a shallot instead of the onion and didn't use much on the corn flakes, perhaps 1/3 cup. I also baked this for an hour to ensure the carrots were cooked. I'm always looking for different ways to cook carrots and this one will definitely be made again. Thanks for sharing Shannon!
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 cups carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 -2 cup corn flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- You can make the cheese sauce in either the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Melt margarine.
- Add flour and mix.
- Add milk.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add cheese (feel free to add more to make a cheesier sauce). Stir.
- Cook a bit longer until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice carrots and chop onions and cook almost completely (not mushy and not too soft).
- Mix with cheese sauce.
- Place carrot mixture in a shallow dish and top with crumbled cornflakes or cornflake crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.