Recipe by curly top
The addition of buttermilk and citrus zest makes for a moist flavourful bread that is excellent for breakfast, midnight snack or anytime the craving hits. I often substitute sunflower seeds for the walnuts,
Top Review by sherpagirl
Awful! Would not cook through no matter what! I picked it because of the buttermilk, but it lacks eggs and sugar. The crusty edges are edible but I shaped the gooey insides into balls and baked them at 250 degrees until they hardened.....my dogs love them!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (or 1/2 c sunflower seeds)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, buttermilk and butter.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Stir in the citrus zests.
- Stir in the zucchini and carrot.
- Add the walnuts.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 1 1/4 hour.
- Cool in pan 15 min before turning out onto cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.