Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great hot, or chilled.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned
- 6 spring onions, green and white parts, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 2 cups low-fat 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- Combine the carrots, onion, potato, tomatoes, green onions, spices, salt and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender or a food processor and process until smoothly pureed.
- Return soup to pot and stir in milk.
- Reheat until very hot or cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, atleast 4 hours.
- (The soup keeps well tightly covered for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.) To serve cold, taste and add salt if desired.
- To serve hot, reheat (without bringing to a boil) and add salt if desired.
- Either way, ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with toasted almonds and basil, and serve.
Delicious hot or cold. Garnished it with a bit of sour cream--such a pretty presentation. Followed instructions exactly (except I skipped the butter) and really loved the undercurrent of spice. Thanks, Ev!