Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious and hearty soup that is great for post-fall time!
- 1 2⁄3 lbs carrots (slicing grade)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1. Scrub and rough dice carrots.
- 2. Use a large spoon to toss carrots in large bowl with half of the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to baking pan and roast in oven 10-20 minute or until soft.
- 4. Peel and rough dice onions.
- 5. Toss in a large bowl with the rest of the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- 6. Transfer to baking pan and roast 8-15 minute or until done.
- 7. Transfer carrots and onions along with roast liquid from pan to kettle on stove and heat over medium heat until vegetables are very soft.
- 8. Thin using vegetable stock; (see attached recipe) adjust to baby food consistency. (Most of the stock will be used).
- 9. Puree soup mixture using blender or food processor.
- 10. Stir in cream.
- 11. Adjust soup to thin applesauce consistency using stock.
- 12. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13. Check temperature of soup (should be maintained at approximately 160º).
- 14. Preheat griddle to 350°.
- 15. Julienne cut sage.
- 16. Hand chop walnuts roughly.
- 17. Saute sage and walnuts with olive oil on griddle until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 18. Portion soup into ½ cup servings using ½-cup spoodle.
- 19. Garnish with sage and walnut mixture.