Purple Becca's Note:
A tasty low fat rice that gets a few extra veggies into your daily diet. I use ground cinnamon because my family don't like 'bits of wood' in thier food! I also use brown basmati and it doesnt seem to take any longer to cook. Great with curry but could accompany lots of different dishes. I dont use salt in cooking but a little added just before serving may be required. I developed this recipe from a book called 'Indian Cooking'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice in several changes of water, leave to soak in water for 20 minutes.
- 2Drain the rice put it in a pan and add the 18 fl ozs of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes (I place the rice in my wood stove oven to cook).
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- 4Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the seeds, cook until they splutter.
- 5Add onion, cinnamon (broken into pieces) and cardamom pods (split at one end to release flavour) Fry until the onion is slightly browned.
- 6Add the Garam Masala and cook for 30 seconds.
- 7Stir in the carrot - grated and the peas, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 8Stir this mixture gently into the rice and keep warm - or serve straight away.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot & Pea Pilau Rice
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 27.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: