Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty low fat rice that gets a few extra veggies into your daily diet. I use ground cinnamon because my family don't like 'bits of wood' in thier food! I also use brown basmati and it doesnt seem to take any longer to cook. Great with curry but could accompany lots of different dishes. I dont use salt in cooking but a little added just before serving may be required. I developed this recipe from a book called 'Indian Cooking'.
- Wash the rice in several changes of water, leave to soak in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the rice put it in a pan and add the 18 fl ozs of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes (I place the rice in my wood stove oven to cook).
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the seeds, cook until they splutter.
- Add onion, cinnamon (broken into pieces) and cardamom pods (split at one end to release flavour) Fry until the onion is slightly browned.
- Add the Garam Masala and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the carrot - grated and the peas, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir this mixture gently into the rice and keep warm - or serve straight away.