Recipe by catxx
One of those dinner creations inspired by the contents of my fridge, this is a really nice vegetarian twist on an old favourite. Quantities are a little inexact, and really depend both on the size of your baking dish and your tastes.
- 6 sheets whole wheat lasagna noodles (either fresh or presoaked -quantity will depend on the size of your lasagne dish)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated (plus extra for topping, maybe another 1/2 cp)
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (I used parsley and mint)
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 -3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs (or you could use fresh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200C, and brush some of the melted butter inside a lasagne/casserole dish.
- Mix carrots, cheeses, onion, herbs, seasonings and egg in a bowl.
- Place half the carrot mix into casserole dish, and top with a layer of the lasagne sheets.
- Brush the lasagne sheets with the rest of the melted butter. Cover with a single layer of tomato slices, and drizzle the sour cream over the tomato.
- Cover the tomatoes with another layer of lasagne sheets, followed by the rest of the carrot mix.
- Top with a single line of tomato slices down the middle of the dish. Combine the extra cheese and the breadcrumbs, and sprinkle them on top.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until golden and crusty on top.