Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
In 'A Passion for Baking' by Marcy Goldman
Make and share this Carrot Cake Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (or minced dried pineapple)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened (4 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 to 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup toasted coconut
- shredded carrot
- orange zest
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°; stack two baking sheets together and line the top sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange oven rack to upper third position.
- In a food processor, add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, orange zest, and walnuts; blend briefly.
- Add in butter and pulse to make a coarse, grainy mixture; turn out into a large bowl.
- Make a well in center and stir in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir with a fork to make a soft batter, then fold in the carrots and raisins; let rest 5 minutes.
- Pat or press out dough to 3/4-inch thickness on a floured work surface.
- Cut into 3-inch rounds; place on prepared baking sheets; bake until lightly browned, 15-20 minutes.
- Cool scones on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make glaze--place cream cheese, powdered, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla in clean food processor; process to make a smooth glaze.
- When scones are completely cooled, spread generously with cream cheese glaze.
- Top with toasted coconut, carrot shreds, orange zest, and cinnamon.
Made a gluten and dairy-free version. Very very tasty! I cut back on the orange zest a bit per the previous commenter. Full of bright flavors. Thanks for posting.
These are really yummy. The only thing I did differently was use toasted pecans in place of the walnuts. They did have a bit strong orangey taste, but they are still very good.