Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an amazing 'muffin' recipe (I think they're almost like cupcakes when you add the frosting) from Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious". I get rave reviews everytime I make them. I prefer to use applesauce in place of the pureed cauliflower.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup carrot, puree
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower, puree or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.
- In large bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat the sugar with the butter (or margarine) until smooth.
- Stir in purees, egg, orange juice, vanilla; then add fruit.
- Add powders and stir until just combined; do not overmix - there will be lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and muffins are lightly browned. Cool.
- Frosting: Beat frosting ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread onto cooled muffins.
- Store in air tight container 2 days at room temperature - or keep in fridge!