Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes a wonderful side dish for Hawaiian chicken - .so delicious -
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups extra long-grain white rice
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1⁄3 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot large enough to accomodate the cooked rice (3 quarts). Over medium heat, sauté the onions until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with for 2 minutes. Pour in the hot chicken stock, then the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, and lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Allow the rice tp rest, covered, for 5 - 10 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and serve.
Delicious! Nice change from plain white rice. Served as a side with coconut chicken and my very picky kids loved it! Will definitely be making this again.