Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe come from The Searchlight Cookbook, 1935. This graced our table every holiday. It's color is deep red and very festive. The flavors are sweet, piquant and totally fascinating. Use a fancy mold.
- 3 ounces lemon Jell-O gelatin (the smaller box of the two)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup beet juice (from the canned beets)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced beet (canned)
- 2 teaspoons grated onions (or a tad more if you wish)
- Dissolve the Jello in the boiling water.
- Add the beet juice, vinegar, salt, grated onion and horseradish.
- Chill until partially set.
- Fold in the celery and beets.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold and serve with mayonnaise on the side.