Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Vegetarian alternative to the traditional stromboli
- 5 cups sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 loaf bread dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well and chopped (optional)
- In a large pan heat oil, add onions, salt and sugar. Cook over low heat stirring often until onions caramelize. Remove onions from pan and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Find seam on French loaf and unroll into a rectangle. Spread onions evenly, top with peppers (if desired) and then cheese. Roll loaf back up and pinch seam closed. Place on a greased sheet pan seam side down. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown.