Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A decidedly different topping - we were pleasantly surprised with this one! Preparation time does not include that of preparing the pizza base.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 675 g red onions
- 12 stoned black olives
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 8 slices italian salami
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- pizza dough, of your choice enough to line a 30cm x 18cm swiss roll tin
- Preheat oven to 220C/425°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and add the thinly sliced onions. Stir and cover.
- Cook over a gentle heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and lightly coloured. Cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the olives and herbs into the dough and line the base of the swiss roll tin pushing up the edges to make a narrow rim around.
- Brush pizza with half the remaining olive oil.
- Spoon half the cooled onions over the base.
- Cover with the quartered salami slices and then the remaining onions.
- Grind over lots of black pepper and drizzle the rest of the oil.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.