Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a incredible, delicious recipe!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 8 slices muenster cheese
- Over medium-high, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet.
- Add the onion; cook stirring for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Reduce to medium-low heat, adding in the brown sugar.
- Cook until onion is glazed and golden, around 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While cooking, spread mustard over 4 slices of bread; place cheese slice on each piece of bread.
- Spoon the onion mixture evenly over cheese and other bread slices.
- Spread tops of sandwiches with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In skillet, over medium-low, heat until hot, placing buttered side down.
- Spread remaining butter on other sides and cook until cheese has melted.
- Serve warm.
I could not find Muenster and so I used Havarti cheese. These were very tasty. With grilled cheese sandwiches that contain chunky ingredients, I find I cannot get the cheese melted while the sandwiches are in the skillet without burning the bread. However, once the bread was browned on both sides I popped them in the oven (375°F), and after about five minutes, the cheese had melted nicely.