Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from the CHOW newsletter: "The addition of goat cheese mimics the zip of Lipton’s famous onion soup mix. We’ve updated classic onion dip by swapping the pack of dehydrated Lipton soup mix for real caramelized onions and goat cheese—but the sweet, salty, tangy flavors you remember are all there. Reminisce with a bag of potato chips. This may be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in a covered container; stir before serving." *Cook time is chill time*
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat.
- When it shimmers, add onion and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are caramelized and brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine sour cream, chèvre, and chives in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment; add onion mixture, and pulse until combined, about 10 pulses.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pulse a few more times to mix in seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Serve with potato chips or crudités.
I had big expectations for this dip because of all the good comments, but... I felt that there was something missing once I put it all together. I added some lemon juice and about 1/4 tsp of a Roasted garlic and herb mix to blend it out! I love goat cheese, but even I though it was a bit overpowering. Sorry, there are other onion dip recipes that I would try before I came back to this one.
Alli, what a wonderful dip you have here!!!! Mmm, it is so creamy and flavourful, I just could not stop eating it. lol The goats cheese and chives add such a yummo flavour to this which is balanced nicely by the sweetness of the roasted onion. Perfect! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing another real winner with us! I cant wait to make it again! Made and reviewed for Everyday Is A Holiday Tag Game June 2010.
Great onion dip. I was expecting a little bit of a tangy flavor from the goat cheese but the dip is very mellow. We will definitely make this again. Made for New Kids on the Block.