Taken from the CHOW newsletter: "The addition of goat cheese mimics the zip of Lipton’s famous onion soup mix. We’ve updated classic onion dip by swapping the pack of dehydrated Lipton soup mix for real caramelized onions and goat cheese—but the sweet, salty, tangy flavors you remember are all there. Reminisce with a bag of potato chips. This may be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in a covered container; stir before serving." *Cook time is chill time*
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat.
- When it shimmers, add onion and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are caramelized and brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine sour cream, chèvre, and chives in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment; add onion mixture, and pulse until combined, about 10 pulses.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pulse a few more times to mix in seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Serve with potato chips or crudités.