Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yet another burger recipe, but this is one of my favorites with caramelized onions. To make ahead for a barbecue you can prepare the patties and place them in a jelly roll pan lined with waxed paper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 to 5 hours ahead of time. From Jun 2000 Betty Crocker "Summer Get-Togethers".
- caramelized onion (recipe below)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Heat coals or gas grill.
- Make Caramelized Onions.
- Mix beef, onion, relish, salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 1/4 inch thick; brush with barbecue sauce.
- Grill patties uncovered about 4 inches from medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center and juice is clear.
- Serve on buns with cheese, onions and additional barbecue sauce.
- To make Caramelized Onions:
- Melt margarine in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook onions in margarine 8 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until clear.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramel colored and liquid is absorbed.
The best word for this is "YUM!!!". Everything is delicious, even the next day, but especially the onions. The carmelized onions would be good on just about any grilled meat -- I may try it on chicken breasts next.