Recipe by Nif
5 ingredients and only 3 steps! This recipe was highly recommended by one of the nurses that I work with. It is an easy and elegant side dish from the Best of Bridge ladies. Excellent with ham or roast beef. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 -8 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb emmenthaler cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large frying pan over medium heat, saute onions in butter until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cook slowly to caramelize.
- Grease a 9" x 13" or large round baking dish. Layer half the potatoe slices in a shingle fashion and season. Top with half the onions and cheese. Repeat next layer, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Cut in squares or wedges to serve.