Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
5 ingredients and only 3 steps! This recipe was highly recommended by one of the nurses that I work with. It is an easy and elegant side dish from the Best of Bridge ladies. Excellent with ham or roast beef. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 -8 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb emmenthaler cheese, grated
- In large frying pan over medium heat, saute onions in butter until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cook slowly to caramelize.
- Grease a 9" x 13" or large round baking dish. Layer half the potatoe slices in a shingle fashion and season. Top with half the onions and cheese. Repeat next layer, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Cut in squares or wedges to serve.
I made a half recipe and cooked in an 8x8 pan and it took 40 minutes to cook at 170C fan forced and 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed the lot. Thank you Nif for a great side.
Made this as one of several vegetable sides when my vegetarian son & DIL were over & it was a big hit with all! loved this particular onion & potato combo! The only thing I did differently was to leave the potato skins on! Thanks for sharing a great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in Went to the Market tag]
Excellent!!! Loved these potatoes, as I am an onion lover and potato lover and the two of them together was wonderful. I served them with a marinaded flat iron steak and salad. Will definitely make this again. Thanks Nif for a wonderful new potato dish and was made for Potluck Tag!!!