Recipe by Mercy
This flavorful risotto is from the October 1993 issue of Bon Appetit
Top Review by Shakthi
It was my first time making risotto and I liked it. The only thing I missed was cheese so I added some grated parmesiano-regiano before serving and we all thought it tasted good. Next time I will try adding some peas to it. Thank you for sharing.
- 24 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup chives or 1⁄2 cup green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 3 or 4 cups of water until boiling.
- Add garlic and let cook 30 seconds.
- Drain off water.
- Bring a fresh batch of water to a boil and blanch garlic a second time.
- Transfer garlic to a shallow baking pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat cloves evenly with oil.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Cool; peel and chop garlic; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion in 4 tablespoons oil about 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add rice.
- Cook and stir 1 minute, then add white wine.
- Simmer until liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Add vegetable stock and continue to simmer, stirring often, about 30 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Stir in garlic and chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.