Recipe by Manami
Found this in Food & Wine Magazine, 10/07 edition. It is fast, healthy, vegetarian, and delicious! I enjoyed preparing it, as well as eating it! The broccoli is slowly caramelized to bring out its sweetness, then enlivened with a squeeze of lemon, a pinch of crushed red pepper and some toasted cashews :) .Update: 11/07/2008 it has been suggested by a few who have reviewed the recipe that they would increase the amount of garlic, so maybe it would make for a nice change!! ;)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (use more those of you that want a lot of garlic)
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- toasted cashews, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice, toasted cashews and serve.