Recipe by Coasty
This tart is tasty served hot or cold. I don't add salt to the eggs as I find the feta cheese adds enough saltiness. Once you have line the flan let it rest for 10-15 mins BEFORE you trim the pastry. This should resolve the shrinkage problem once baked
Top Review by Kiwi Kathy
A really nice recipe. I made my own pastry as I find when I use the bought stuff in inevitably shrinks on me. Made it on Sunday afternoon and enjoyed it for dinner on Monday and Tuesday nights. Well worth making. Made for Aussie Kiwi Swap #35 Dec 09
- 4 eggs
- 3 red Spanish onions
- 500 g sweet potatoes
- 100 g feta cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme sprig
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat ovent to 180°C Line a 22cm loose bottom flan tin with the thawed pastry. Let rest for 10-15 mins before you trim the edges. This should solve the problem of shrinkage.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes (line with baking paper and weight down with rice or baking beads) Remove baking paper and rice or baking beads and return to oven for further 10 minutes Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add add the thinly sliced onions. Cook over medim heat for 15 mins stirring occasionally until caramelised.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 2cm cubes.
- Steam or microwave until tender. Do not boil as the potato will take on water.
- Fill the tart shell with the onions, sweet potato and crumbled feta.
- Add a pinch of pepper to eggs and lightly beat. Pour into tart shell. Sprinkle the thyme over top.
- Bake for 40-45 mins, until egg has set.
- If serving hot/warm let stand sit for 10 mins to allow to settle.