Prep 1 min
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
My very good friend Jana McK. gave me this recipe for the stove top. I have adapted it for the crock pot. It makes for a super easy, no fuss caramel dipping sauce. Great for fruit, nuts and even pretzels. Only 2 ingredients. Remember crock pots vary in their heat intensities. Mine gets very hot on high. Finally, you might want to line the crockpot with those disposable liners to make it easier to clean up the sticky glue from the can and make sure you wait until the can is warm, not hot or the "sauce" will explode.
- Take can of sweetened condensed milk and remove label. (Do Not Open).
- Place in a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 quart crock pot.
- Pour water in crock pot until the can is completely covered with water. You only need water to be 1/4 in over the top of can.
- Put lid on crock pot.
- Heat on high for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours (the longer the milk cooks the darker the caramel will be).
- At desired time remove can with tongs (Be careful the can will be very hot).
- Allow to cool to the point that you can touch the can, but the can will be still warm.
- Open can and pour contents into a bowl that has a good sealing lid.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- At this point you are ready for dipping.
- Any leftovers can be placed in the refrigerator.
As claimed it is indeed easy. Taste is pretty good. However mine also seemed too thick. I added a couple of teaspoons of water to it to thin it out a bit. Made for Fall PAC 2012