Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A quick and easy bread pudding.
- 1⁄2 lb French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 quart half-and-half or 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup store-bought caramel topping
- whipped cream (optional) or non-dairy whipped topping (optional)
- Spray a microwave safe 2-quart square casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread cubes in casserole; sprinkle in pecans, then pour melted butter over all. Toss lightly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together half and half, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour evenly over bread cubes and let stand 5 minutes.
- Microwave on Medium (50% power) 10-12 minutes, until mixture is just beginning to set.
- Place in preheated oven 12-15 minutes until pudding is puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven to wire rack; let stand 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Soften caramel topping in microwave to a pourable consistency; drizzle over warm bread pudding.
- To serve, cut into squares or spoon into dessert dishes.
- Serve, if desired, with whipped cream or thawed non-dairy whipped topping.