Recipe by HisPixie
I found this while perusing "The Modern Family Cook Book" published in 1945. I just love old cookbooks. I haven't made this yet but wanted to add it before I lost it. I'll try it over the holidays. (You can buy pastuerized raw eggs these days. They're a little more expensive but it saves worry over bacteria)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups milk, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk, chilled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the 6 tablespoons sugar in a skillet and heat, stirring frequently, until an amber liquid is formed.
- Slowly add the boiling water and stir until caramel is dissolved; remove from heat and chill.
- Just before serving, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon-yellow.
- Beat egg whites separately, gradually adding the 2 tablespoons of sugar, until very stiff and smooth.
- Combine chilled caramel syrup with the milk and evaporated milk.
- Fold egg whites into yolks, and quickly stir in the milk mixture and salt.
- Serve at once.