Recipe by Evie*
Found this in a cook book I got from the library, looks good tastes great!
Top Review by mummamills
I was a little intrigued with this, as I have a caramel chicken recipe too, but it is very different. I took note of Jan's suggestion, and didnt add the salt, and I did add 2 tablespoons Hot Pepper Jelly. Turned out wonderfully!!!
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in large bowl, add oil and toss to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat until hot.
- Add the chicken in 2 batches, and cook for 2 minutes on one side until lightly brown, turn and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add a little extra oil if needed.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the pan, sprinkle liberally with black pepper, add the soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to high, add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until sauce is rich dark and syrupy.
- Add the fish sauce, stir to combine.
- Place on serving dish.
- Serve with steamed rice and green vegetables.