Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Many years ago, this recipe, along with 650 others, was entered into an Atlanta newspaper brownie contest and won first place. It is gooey and a hit with children...of all ages!!!!
- 236.59 ml butter (2 sticks)
- 113.39 g unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts (optional) or 118.29 ml chopped pecans (optional)
- 396.89 g bag caramels
- 78.07 ml evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13-by 9-inch baking pan.
- Melt together butter and chocolate in a small saucepan or on top of a double boiler. Let cool slightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add cooled chocolate mixture. Add flour, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Pour half the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat caramels and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring, until caramels are melted. Remove brownies from oven and spread caramel mixture over the first layer of brownies. Top with remaining half of brownie batter. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cut into squares. .