Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from my Aunt who was an avid recipe collector. I don't know where she found it but we all like it very much! It is very flavorful and if you like caramel and apples you will love these.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Reserving 1 1/2 c crumb mixture, press remainder on bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Add nuts to reserved crumb mixture.
- In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with condensed milk stirring until smooth (I use Eagle Brand and I use a double boiler to melt).
- Spoon apple filling over prepared crust. Top with melted caramel mixture then reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Serve with French Vanilla Cool Whip or ice cream as you desire.