Top Review by Jersey coffee
Really good, I prefer them over all of the pumpkin fall treats. Great mix of spicy and sweet. Added a little vanilla to the frosting, and left out a tiny bit of sugar. Easy and yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apple, peeled and shredded
- 2 -3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons finely crushed walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat shortening and brown sugar in medium bowl until blended; beat in egg.
- Mix in 1/4 cup apple juice.
- Combined flour, baking soda, salt, and spices; mix in remaining 1/4 cup apple juice and apples.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 until browned, 10 to 12 minutesCool on wire racks.
- Spread with frosting and sprinkle each cookie with crushed walnuts.
- Caramel Frosting: Heat margarine, brown sugar, and water over medium high heat in saucepan,stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; beat in powdered sugar and enough milk to make spreadable consistency; use immediately.
- If frosting begins to harden, return to low heat and stir in more milk.