Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a creamy, cool and spoonable version of the favorite cappuccino. I've also used cocoa powder, instead of coffee. This came from the Midwest Living Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder or 2 tablespoons regular instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream or 2 cups heavy cream
- bittersweet chocolate
- Put a mixing bowl in the freezer to chill while gathering ingred.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee powder in water. Sprinkle gelatin over coffee; let stand for 10 Minutes.
- In a loarge metal bowl or the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar with a wire whisk until combined. Place over gently boiling water (metal bowl or upper pan should not touch water.) Cook, stirring rapidly with a whisk, about 10 minutes, or until egg mixture begins to thicken and coats a metal spoon (160 deg). Remove from heat.
- Add coffee-gelatin mixture to warm egg mixture; whisk until combined. Beat egg-gelatin mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes, or until mixture is cool; set aside.
- Thoroughly was beaters. In a chilled mixing bowl, beat cream with an electric mexer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream, one-third at a time, into egg-gelatin mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly among 8 chilled wine or parfait glasses (or place in a large glass bowl). Cover and chill at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with chocolate shavings or curls. (use a veggie peeler on a choco bar for nice curls).