Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another super simple dessert. From a cookbook that I picked up at a garage sale, years ago, that has become a favorite....Readers Digest, Quick and Delicious.
- Line a small baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place cakes on the sheet and spread the tops and sides with the frosting.
- Fill the center of each with a scoop of ice cream.
- Freeze until ready to serve.
- To serve place on individual plastes and top with cool whip, sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon and a cinnamon stick it desired.
Try freezing the cakes first then they wont crumble, mine usually come from the freezer anyway so I guess I didnt think about it if you just bought them!
These yummy like cakes were gobbled up by a group of children ranging in age from 3-14! The only issue I had in the preparation was with the frosting; even the ready to spread, whipped type frosting made the sponge shells crumble. I put the frosting in a metal bowl and melted/softened it over a hot water bath on the stove. Then I spread/painted the frosting on without much trouble. The nice part about this recipe is that it's easy to vary -- I made batches using different flavors of ice cream and different flavors of frosting. The favorite combination were chocolate frosting with oreo cookie ice cream and lemon frosting with vanilla ice cream (no cinnamon).