Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These brownies are like little truffles! make certain to chill the brownies completely before frosting them with the cream cheese frosting or the frosting will separate and become thin --- cooking time is for brownies only
Top Review by kitkat821
Absolutely amazing!! A flavor explosion in your mouth! Didn't have time to let the frosting chill before glazing so I just marbled the glaze into the frosting and let it chill overnight. I didn't add walnuts but did use the espresso powder and think it's worth trying to find. Made it for a dinner party and cut into small squares, but everyone kept going back for more.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (don't use unsweetened or semisweet)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling water)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling water.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- To make brownie: in a heavy saucepan melt chocolate and butter with espresso mixture over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and cool the mixture to lukewarm.
- When the mixture is lukewarm whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- Add in eggs whisking well until mixture is glossy and smaooth.
- Stir in flour and salt just until combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Cool completely before icing.
- To make frosting: in a bowl with an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in confectioners sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; beat until well combined.
- Spread frosting over cooled brownie layer.
- Chill the brownies for about 1 hour or longer until the frosting is firm.
- To make glaze: In a double boiler melt the chocolate with butter, add in whipping cream and espresso mixture, whisking until smooth; remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Spread glaze carefully over brownies.
- Chill the brownies for at least 3 hours.
- Refrigerate any leftover brownies covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.