Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These brownies are like little truffles! make certain to chill the brownies completely before frosting them with the cream cheese frosting or the frosting will separate and become thin --- cooking time is for brownies only
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (don't use unsweetened or semisweet)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling water)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling water.)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- To make brownie: in a heavy saucepan melt chocolate and butter with espresso mixture over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and cool the mixture to lukewarm.
- When the mixture is lukewarm whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- Add in eggs whisking well until mixture is glossy and smaooth.
- Stir in flour and salt just until combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Cool completely before icing.
- To make frosting: in a bowl with an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in confectioners sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; beat until well combined.
- Spread frosting over cooled brownie layer.
- Chill the brownies for about 1 hour or longer until the frosting is firm.
- To make glaze: In a double boiler melt the chocolate with butter, add in whipping cream and espresso mixture, whisking until smooth; remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Spread glaze carefully over brownies.
- Chill the brownies for at least 3 hours.
- Refrigerate any leftover brownies covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Absolutely amazing!! A flavor explosion in your mouth! Didn't have time to let the frosting chill before glazing so I just marbled the glaze into the frosting and let it chill overnight. I didn't add walnuts but did use the espresso powder and think it's worth trying to find. Made it for a dinner party and cut into small squares, but everyone kept going back for more.