Recipe by jessica327
This is an old rice pudding recipe from the Capitol Diner in Jersey City, NJ. I'm not sure if the diner is still there, but their rice pudding was phenomenal!
Top Review by Richard W.
I think the recipe means to start with cooked rice. I started with uncooked and its impossible to cook rice in 15 mins. I had to keep adding milk. 30 mins later rice still hard in the middle.<br/>Cooked seems to make sense. I try it next time with cooked.<br/>Tasted great when finally finished. But, not diner consistency. Diner pudding is usually more custardy. Mabye cooked rice will change the texture.
- 4 quarts milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, beat vanilla, eggs and sugar. Add to milk.
- Add rice to milk and simmer over low-to-medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Dust top with cinnamon. Can be served warm or chilled. For added decadence, top with whipped cream.