Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This traditional Lenten dessert is a terrific way to use up stale bread. Bolillos are torpedo-shaped bread rolls.
- Cut bread in slices and let it dry for at least one day before preparing.
- Fry the sliced bread, break into 2" pieces.
- Make a syrup of water, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Butter an oblong baking pan.
- Layer bread, cheese, raisins and peanuts.
- Pour syrup over bread mixture and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until syrup is absorbed.
- May be served warm or cold. If served warm, top with whipped cream.