Recipe by mollypaul
Spicy and sweet bar cookies from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300F and grease a 13 x 9" pan very well.
- Sift first six ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add egg.
- Combine milk with molasses and add alternately to dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until done.
- Cool slightly and cut diagonally into diamond shapes.