Recipe by brandimcd
Considering my expert-baker cousin asked ME for my recipe, it MUST be good!!!!! I make this often because it's requested by my family at holidays.
Top Review by Merry Cook
Delicious! I didn't know what size pan to use so I ended up using a 9x13 cake pan. I doubled the recipe (actually used 8 cups of apples) and its really delicious. If I change anything it will be less sugar in the topping (I think 1/2 cup would do it) and I might add pecans. Thank you for the lovely crumble :)
- 3 cups apples, sliced or chopped (not grannies)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 liters French vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all "The Apple" ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all "The Crumble" ingredients in a smaller bowl, and cut them together: (Use a pastry blender, or just use two butter knives and criss-cross them in the middle of the mix and pull outward - repeating the motion over and over.).
- Place "The Apple" in a greased casserole.
- Sprinkle "The Crumble" onto "The Apple".
- Bake 35 minutes - while you're enjoying dinner.
- Serve hot with only French Vanilla Ice Cream on top - nothing else will do!
- OPTIONS: Sprinkle walnuts on top, or reduce the margarine to 2 tablespoons but adding 1/4 cup of peanut butter to "The Crumble".