Recipe by ChefDebs
This is very simple but we cant get enough of this in the middle of winter.We serve it cold along side roast pork etc
Top Review by jenniealice1357
I've been looking all over the internet for this recipe! I did a bunch of jars last year and we ate all of them, and it took me quite a while, but I finally found this--yay! I just did another batch of 6 quart jars, but used green cabbage (red would be so much prettier). Two heads of cabbage about 3# each yielded six quarts; I had to expand the brine recipe quite a bit to fill the jars. We use this as an appetizer when we put out a tray of pickled/cured before-dinner snacks along with olives, cheese, salami and crackers. We also use this heavily on fish tacos. I could see variations being made for this recipe, like adding 1 sliced habanero for those that like it hot (my husband).
- 1 large red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 10 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the shredded cabbage with the salt in a large ceramic bowl.Place a weighted plate on the top of the cabbage, pressing it down,and leave for 24 hours.
- Fill canning jars with red cabbage, boil the vinegar and pickling spices and pour over the cabbage.
- Seal jars for 10 mins in hot water bath.
- Ready to eat after 6 days.