Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is filling for 4 - 6 pies, very easy, after heating and thickening, water bath for 20 minutes.See other uses listed in recipe.
- 3 -4 cups blueberries or 3 -4 cups blackberries or 3 -4 cups huckleberries, washed
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 -4 apples, peeled, half slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups chopped frozen rhubarb or 3 -4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- In large stockpot, add berries. With a potato masher,mash down a few times in the pot to release the juice. Add sugar and water.
- Turn heat on low and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Peel and slice apples. Put in a ziplock bag with lemon juice and salt. Shake, Shake, Shake.
- Add rhubarb to the stock pot, mix well and then add the apple mixture. Stir.
- Add instant tapioca. Do not use whole Tapioca.
- Wash pint jars and place in 9x13 pan upside down and add hot water to pan. Heat oven to 250°.
- Fill hot water bath canner with hot water.
- Cover and start the water to boil.
- Increase heat to medium for the stockpot, stir and cook about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cold water. Stir.
- In bowl, add cold water and cornstarch, stir to dissolve and then stir in hot filling. Stir and cook until thickened and glossy. Pull off the heat.
- Fill jars, leaving 1 1/2 inch head space.
- Stick knife down the side of the jar to eliminate any air pockets. Wipe rim of jars.
- With hot clean damp cloth. Put hot seal on each jar and screw on ring.
- Place filled jars in canning rack, lower into boiling water. Cover. When water starts a rolling boil over the top of lids start to time, 20 minutes. Raise rack, place jars on toweled surface. Be careful.
- Jars are hot and you don't want to click them against each other.
- Note: You may add sugar to taste. This recipe is slightly tart because the family likes it this way.
- Variations of the Pie Filling after Canning:.
- •Open one jar and add 1 cup sour cream. Serve cold or place in pie crust and bake.
- •Open one jar and add 8 oz. cream cheese and mix well. Serve cold with cool whip or fill pie crust and bake.
- •Use a cup or two from a canned jar and use as a swirl filling in bundt cake batter.
- •Use as a filling between baked cake layers.