Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The Canlis Restaurant is in Seattle. To coddle an egg, bring a small saucepan of water to a simmer. Then simmer the egg for exactly 1 minute. Coddled eggs make the dressing very creamy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 dash salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in 1/8s
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, sliced in 1-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 lb bacon, cooked, chopped
- 1 cup crouton
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mint, fresh & chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg, coddled
- Into a large wooden bowl, pour 2 Tbsp oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and rub firmly with garlic.
- Remove garlic.
- In the bottom of the bowl, place tomatoes.
- Add romaine lettuce.
- Add onion, cheese, and bacon.
- Into a separate bowl, pour 3 oz oil, lemon juice, pepper, mint, and oregano.
- Add the coddled egg. (Be sure to not add the shells!).
- Whip vigorously.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad.
- Add croutons and toss.
I loved the salad ingredient mix - that was great. The dressing reminded me of something that I have had on a salad in greek restaurants. I think thought that next time I will skip the mint.