Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a little bit of work, but worth it.
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 30 wafers, crushed)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
For the Caramel layer
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
For the Filling
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
For the Topping
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- Making the crust:.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine wafer crumbs, butter and sugar; stir until crumbs are moist.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake crust until firm, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack; let cool.
- Making the Caramel Layer:.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels and milk.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, stirring at 1 minute intervals, until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes; stir in peanuts.
- Pour mixture over crust; spread evenly.
- Let cool completely.
- Making the Filling:.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Using mixer on low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time, just until blended, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the filling over the caramel layer; spread evenly.
- Bake cheesecake until the filling is almost set, about 1 hour.
- Turn off oven; let cheesecake stand in oven with door ajar for 1 hour.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack.
- Run a thin knife around the pan sides; cool completely.
- Remove the pan sides.
- cover tightly; refrigerate overnight.
- Topping the Cheesecake:.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil over high heat.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in chocolate chips.
- Whisk mixture until smooth and melted, about 30 seconds.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cheesecake to a plate.
- Spread glaze over cheesecake; sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate until glaze is set, 1 hour.
- Note: This Cheesecake is baked until almost set; it will become more firm as it cools.