Recipe by Christmas Carol
With Thanksgiving around the corner, thought you might like a new sweet potato recipe to try. A splash of sweet sherry in them gives them wonderful flavor! No need to wait for a holiday though, try them for dinner tonight!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 lbs yams, do not peel
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- additional salt, for boiling potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat enough salted water to cover sweet potatoes (1/2 teaspoons salt to 1 cup water).
- Add potatoes and cover.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Boil until tender, approximately 30 to 35 minutes; drain.
- Slip off skins and mash potatoes.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a 10 inch skillet.
- Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Pour mixture over mashed sweet potatoes and stir gently until heated through.
- Note; If you prefer, you can slice the potatoes instead of mashing them after you have removed the skins.
- Add to skillet with sugar mixture and stir gently until potatoes are glazed.