Recipe by ARathkamp
These are our favorite campfire potato dish. So easy to put together and just let them cook. The melted pepper jack cheese just adds another level to these potatoes. These can be made in the oven as well. Simply use an oven safe dish and cook at 375 for specified time
Top Review by Cindy-in-the-Kitchen
My family loved this recipe, which I did in the oven. I used the prepackaged bacon pieces, 2 garlic cloves, about 2 T. butter, and about 1/4 c. diced onion. My husband said he could smell it when he drove into the garage, and could hardly wait to come up and see what was for dinner! Next time I will double the recipe, as everyone wanted seconds! By the way...the pepper jack cheese is awesome on the top! I originally thought about using cheddar, but I am glad I didn't. We definitely will be making this again! Thank you so much for sharing this!
- 3 russet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, coarsley minced
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, pieces not bits (I use pre-packaged)
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a foil pan, add half of the butter.
- Add potatoes, onions, garlic, bacon, and remaining butter to foil pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and put on campfire.
- Let potatoes cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese and cook additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft throughout.