3 hrs 20 mins
3 hrs 10 mins
This is posted on FoodNetwork Bobby Flay Show.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs pinto beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 lb bacon, chopped (or salt pork)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 whole jalapeno peppers
- 1Place beans in a large pot with a tight-fitting cover and add enough water to cover beans by about 2 inches.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Meanwhile, place bacon, onion, and garlic in a medium cast iron frying pan and brown the mixture, while stirring, over medium heat.
- 4Add bacon mixture to beans.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 3 hours total cooking time, adding more hot water if needed.
- 6Add chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and jalapeno peppers.
- 7Simmer for another 10 minutes and then serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Campfire Beans
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 967.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 11.2 g