Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 10 mins
This is posted on FoodNetwork Bobby Flay Show.
- 4 lbs pinto beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 lb bacon, chopped (or salt pork)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 whole jalapeno peppers
- Place beans in a large pot with a tight-fitting cover and add enough water to cover beans by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, place bacon, onion, and garlic in a medium cast iron frying pan and brown the mixture, while stirring, over medium heat.
- Add bacon mixture to beans.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 3 hours total cooking time, adding more hot water if needed.
- Add chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and jalapeno peppers.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes and then serve.