Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A type of cole slaw with chicken and cellophane noodles, pronounced "nyome". This makes an excellent side dish or a main dish if served with rice.
- 8 ounces cellophane noodles (bean thread or glass noodles)
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 5 carrots, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces peanuts, roasted and chopped
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 fresh hot red chili peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Place chicken breasts in a covered pan in enough liquid to cover (liquid should be 2 parts water, 1 part dry white wine), and poach for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through; remove from heat.
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Soak cellophane noodles for 2 minutes in boiling water; drain.
- Whisk together fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and chopped chiles; set aside.
- Toss cabbage, carrots, and chicken together in a large bowl; add vinaigrette and toss again.
- Place cabbage mixture on a serving platter and garnish with roasted peanuts and chopped mint and basil, if desired.