Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Original recipe is from the Canadian branch of the California Walnuts Commission. I cut down the recipe since I only had one egg and tinted the shells green and the filling yellow for a Springtime feel. Note the filling does contain a small amount of alcohol.
- 1 1⁄8 ounces walnuts
- 1 3⁄4 ounces icing sugar
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons green food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons limoncello
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 dash yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line a baking sheet with parchment (do not grease or use silicone).
- Pulse the walnuts with the icing sugar in a food processor until finely ground, then sift. Set aside.
- In a very clean bowl with electric beaters, beat the egg white, meringue powder, sugar and salt until stiff peaks form (this should take 8-10 minutes).
- Beat in the vanilla and colouring until well blended.
- Gently dust the walnut mixture over the beaten mixture and gently fold it in until the meringue is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer to a piping bag (or plastic bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe 3/4" rounds on the parchment.
- Tap the baking sheet on a counter gently (to release any trapped air bubbles), then set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 350°F
- Bake 10-12 minutes and cool completely on the sheets.
- For filling:.
- Cream together coconut oil, icing sugar, Limoncello, extract, lemon zest and colouring until creamy.
- Chill at least 1 hour before filling the macarons with 1/2 tbsp of the mixture.