Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
My recipe is made without ground beef. It's wonderful baked slowly in the oven or in the crock pot. Throw in a sliced hot dog or two and call it "dinner".
- 15 ounces butter beans with molasses and bacon, do not drain
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained slightly
- 11 ounces pork & beans, do not drain
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked, drained & chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- hot sauce, several dashes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, mix all together in a crockpot, Dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Place in Crock pot for 4-6 hours. Start on high & turn down the temperature.
- 325° oven, covered for 1 hour, uncovered for 1 hours or until hot & tender and desired consistency. *check periodically: careful not to let dry out.
- Stir occasionally.
- Use similar can sizes.
- If doubling or tripling, you can cut back on brown sugar and vinegar some.
- Tripled: use 1# bacon.