This recipe came from a Business Women's Group recipe book in Denver, CO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans or (28 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish mustard
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- Cut bacon in small pieces.
- Fry bacon, onions, and hamburger until all are just cooked through, not crisp in 6 quart pan.
- Pour off most of the grease and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well and bake at 300°F for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Love, love, love! So easy to throw together and so tasty! I used frozen limas because we don't like the consistency of canned. And like another reviewer, used 1/2 tbsp dijon and 1/2 tbsp prepared horseradish. I don't know if it was the horseradish or the vinegar, but these beans have an amazing tang that perfectly offsets the sweetness. Not too sweet, as I think it depends on the beans you're using. I used Bush's Boston Recipe beans. And cider vinegar, in case anyone is wondering. Thanks for sharing, Lynn - I understand why this is a family favorite of yours!1Replies 1
I love beans, so I enjoyed this. I could not find canned lima beans though, so I used white beans. I also don't like bacon (strange, I know), so I left that out. Even without the bacon, the dish was well-flavored and savory. I doubled the serving portion and we had this as a main dish. [made & reviewed for PRMR]Reply
see 11 more