Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is based on a Portuguese soup my mother in law makes. I make this soup thicker and I puree it unlike the traditional way. My very picky kids love it with crusty fresh bread for dipping and simply call it "green soup".
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 collard greens, stems removed
- 1⁄2 chorizo sausage (cured Spanish sausage)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fill large pot with water. Add potatoes, onion, sausage, and chicken broth.
- Cook until potatoes soft.
- Remove sausage.
- Add collards and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Chop sausage into small slices.
- Add oil and sausage to pot.