Recipe by The Italian Cook
tender calamari sautéed with capers, kalamata olives, onions, garlic, and finished with red wine marinara, and basil.
Top Review by IngridH
This recipe has real potential, but doesn't quite deliver. There are lots of tasty elements in this dish, but it doesn't quite pull together into one harmonious flavor. There are two things that I think could fix this- first, saute the onions and garlic a bit to get their flavors going before adding the tomatoes, capers, and olives. Second- add a bit of lemon juice at the end to give a bright splash of flavor. I also agree with the other reviewer about cooking the squid for less time. Making this again, I would cook the sauce until it's pretty much done, then add the squid and cook for about 2 minutes, then add some lemon juice and basil, and serve.
- 7 ounces sliced calamari, tubes and tentacles
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup diced roma tomato
- 10 kalamata olives, halves
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil chiffonade
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil, onion, garlic, capers, olives, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and chili flakes, sauté.
- Once sautéed, add calamari, and continue to sauté until calamari begins to curl.
- Now add the red wine, continue tossing calamari.
- Add marinara sauce and basil and heat until calamari is cooked, which means tender, don't cook until it's chewy!
- Add salt and pepper if need for extra taste.
- Serve as an appetizer, or make a little extra sauce and toss with some pasta, make sure you have some fine red wine!