1/6 Photos of Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
2 hrs 15 mins
My grandmother gave me this recipe and I was intrigued by the fact that a box of cake mix was part of the ingredients of this recipe. They turned out fabulous! This was so easy to make and the dough turned out tender with a deep rich taste (I was shocked because there are no eggs or oil in this recipe). I wanted to have these for breakfast, so I prepared them the night before and let them sit in the refrigerator over night on the last rise. In the morning I set the pans out for about an hour so they could come to room temperature and then baked them according to directions and they turned out perfectly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast rise yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (120 to 130)
- 1/4 cup melted butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine 4 cups of flour, dry cake mix, yeast and warm water until smooth.
- 2Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes (I did this step with my Kitchen Aid Mixer).
- 4Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- 5Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6Punch dough down.
- 7Divide dough in half and let rest covered 10 minutes.
- 8Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- 9Roll each portion into a 14 X 10 rectangle.
- 10Brush with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (I prefer brown sugar myself, so I used about 3/4 cup brown sugar with a teaspoon and half of cinnamon).
- 11Roll up jellyroll style, starting with long side.
- 12Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down in two greased 13 X 9 baking pans (At this point I just kind of flatten them a bit with my hand so the middles don't raise up).
- 13Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 20 minutes (this is where I put them in the frig over night).
- 14Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15Cool for 20 minutes.
- 16*For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 17Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- 18*I prefer a cream cheese frosting on cinnamon rolls so I changed that as well, but this works out just great.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 369.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 56.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g