Chef #328289's Note:
I googled this for the cake, using chocolate fudge cake mix (b/c that's what I had on hand). It's from "Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor" written by Anne Byrn. It's moist, and is probably better than the regular cake mix cake since you add pumpkin rather than oil or butter. I didn't add any cinnamon chips or pecans or make any frosting but I'm sure that would be even better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, spray for misting the pan
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist a 13- by 9-inch pan with vegetable oil spray. Set the pan aside.
- 2Place the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter will be thick and should look well combined. Fold in the cinnamon chips until well distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, moothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.
- 3Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 5Spread the frosting over the cake in the pan with smooth, clean strokes. Sprinkle the pecans over the top.
- 6To make slicing easier, store this cake, lightly covered with waxed paper, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 1 hour. Then wrap it in aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- 7Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 8(Makes 3 1/2 cups, enough to frost a 2- or 3-layer cake.).
- 9Place the cream cheese and the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- 10Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 30 seconds.
- 11Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and 3 3/4 cups of the confectioners' sugar. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the ingredients are moistened, 30 seconds.
- 12Add more sugar if the frosting seems too thin.
- 13Increase the speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, 2 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cake Mix Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.3
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.6 mg
- Sodium 299.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cinnamon baking chips