Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is what I made for New Year's Day this year. The recipe is from Woman's World magazine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- In a pot heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion, celery, carrot, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in black-eyed peas.
- Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley flakes.
Great cheap meal that's easy to fix. We enjoyed this, thought it would go great with some cornbread. Thank you!
My boys will eat rice but will not eat black-eyed peas. Guess what...they ate these! I added extra cajun seasoning because we like things spicy. Thanks for a great recipe.
I really enjoy spicy food and black eyed peas so I made this the other nite. I used about a cup of minute rice so mine wasnt as soupy but I still enjoyed it. Thanks for an easy meal!